Friday, August 7, 2009

An itch you can't scratch

Hmmm, one month into my first rotation and already I've managed to mess it up. Not too badly I hope, but it does sting me up a bit. I've somehow made a simple 20 minute presentation into an utter catastrophe just because I got flustered. A few stutters here, a forgotten term or two there, and next thing you know, I'm way over my time and not even close to finishing my presentation. I suppose that's what I get for cramming in way too much info and not keeping it simple. What can I say? I'm a hot mess. I've been that since April.

Other than that, I feel achy. Trying to get myself out of my self-loathing by hitting the gym. So far, so good. 2 pounds down...15 more to go. Today is a rest day. I made dinner for Chris and Rachel and decided on giving my bones (and muscles) a little R and R. Tomorrow, I'll see if I can run a good deal before it gets way too hot.

I'm also feeling surprised...well...more like resigned. I've had an assumption about an anomaly I've been pondering for a while now and as luck would have it, today has brought me some answers...which proved my assumption to be correct...sadly. Sorry to be cryptic but the nature of said anomaly is somewhat sensitive and disclosure over a public channel may not be the wisest of actions. Needless to say, the anomaly has finally resolved itself, despite my disappointment. I don't know if I should pat myself in the back for having my assumption confirmed, or paint a target on my wall and run my head through it. I'm not sure if I could have done anything at the time to diffuse the situation. This anomaly has certainly left quite a mark...one that would leave me more jaded in my appreciation of the world and its inhabitants. For a while, I was seriously giving optimism an honest shot, but the sad truth is that...as an optimist, there's only one way to go...and it can be a long and painful way down. I suppose it was my fault for leaving my nose wide out in the open...and in a firefight, you can't leave anything hanging out, otherwise it's liable to get shot. So there you have it. For me, it's case closed...lesson learned. Ouch.

Thank God for the weekend.

Song of the day: "Forget Her" - Jeff Buckley

No comments: