Monday, December 28, 2009

Wash, Rinse, Repeat

Ok, so this blog, so far has been my sounding board, more or less, for the trials and tribulations of the surreal (and I use the term very loosely) ride that is med school. In it, you will find my slip-shod attempt at chronicling almost all of bruhaha that goes on in my life amidst countless hours of medical minutiae, wrapped in a pretty $150K+ student loan bow. A good deal of it is bitching...and I feel pretty bad about it, despite this being my own blog. I wish I was a little more cheerful or witty when it came to matters of electronic journaling. I won't try it now, but I can at least make this one entry lean more towards the positive side.

It's been 3 years since I started the Manifesto and I feel that I need to highlight the good things that I have been a part of and experienced this whole time as opposed to dwelling some more on the countless crap that has piled high in my life. Here goes...

- I got into med school (it took me 3 years to get in, and it has taken 3 more for me to get scared shitless about the fact that I will be responsible for a stranger's health in a few months' time from now). YAY!

- I made it to 3rd year so far. OK...

- I made more friends. Always a plus.

- I learned who my real friends are.

- I've discovered many ways to remember the TCA cycle and even more ways to forget it.

- I got into (and out of) a relationship that made me realize that being single isn't so bad at all.

- I learned how to make peach cobbler.

- I got better at playing guitar (and ukelele)!

- I learned how to roll drum cigarettes.

- I stopped smoking.

- I have agreed to disagree with vodka because in a streetfight, vodka IS the street.

- I learned that I suck at public speaking. And that's ok.

- I realized the importance of owning my own domicile in the future.

- I learned the power of saying "I don't know."

- I learned that I look better bald.

- I got glasses (now I can work the Clark Kent angle)!

- I can do OMM now!

- I have memorized 4 Shakespeare soliloquies this past year (2 - Julius Ceasar, 1 - Richard III, 1 - Hamlet).

- I've learned to take things as they come, and with a grain of salt (lots of salt...and tequila).


And there you have it, mas o menos. I'm sure there are other quirky details that I have omitted...they will surface somehow, in time. Before the new year dawns on us, I figured I aught to do a little life accounting just to get the good vibes going for 2010. As always, I can only hope that whatever good comes my way, may it always outweigh the bad. And whatever mistakes I make, that I seriously learn from them, because I hate going through the same stupid shit more than twice.

Song of the day: "Heartbeat Radio" - Sondre Lerche

No comments: