Monday, August 24, 2009

Take one down, pass it around

Last Saturday (yes, even on the weekend) was unofficially my last day at the Family Medicine office. That's not to say that I won't be making it back there ever. No, I just finished my office time and now it's on to part 1.1 of the Fam Med rotation...OMM. Yes, this should be fun and interesting. I've done some OMM shadowing before with another DO, but tomorrow (or should I say, today) will be my official rotation. I will be doing this for 2 weeks, then followed by another 2 weeks of Community Service (AHEC). Quite looking forward to it, actually.

Things I learned during FM rotation:
1. Learn to shut your mouth and just listen. Most of the time, pts. will tell you all you need to know.
2. We have no pity for drug-seekers. EVER.
3. There's nothing you can't say in 2 minutes that I can't say in 20 (Thank you, Dr. H.).
4. Read. It's the best thing you can do for yourself.
5. I hate (yes,HATE) giving presentations, much more so than taking exams.
6. I just might add Psychiatry to my list of possible specialties...might.
7. Like most things, practice is the key to making the hard things look easy. Just make sure you're practicing the right thing.
8. I need to learn my drugs better, like yesterday.
9. Giving presentations and taking exams will be a constant in my profession. Frick!
10. I'm a magnet for chronic pain sufferers...maybe they're trying to tell me something.

On a different note, today, I played some rhythm guitar with a few of my school buddies. It was a pretty long session and the damn AC wasn't working and he kept the backyard door open to get some air circulation...which wasn't happenin' exactly. It was pretty uncomfortable, but we had fun figuring out the new songs. The cover line up for our impromptu band's performance in 10 days is very eclectic to say the least:
1. Owner of A Lonely Heart - Yes
2. Suzie Q - Creedance Clearwater Revival
3. Fantasy - Mariah Carey
4. Gold Lion - The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
5. Footsteps In The Dark - The Isley Brothers
(6. Plush - Stoned Temple Pilots) -> this is still in the works

I've never played as a guitarist in a band setting before. this should be quite interesting. Oh, and did I mention that we have our SHELF exam the next day after the concert? Brilliant. Good times...

Song of the day: "Footsteps In The Dark" - The Isley Brothers

4 comments:

Single and Picky said...

Oy, Mariah... that brings back memories

the one in the back said...

Really? Do tell...

Single and Picky said...

Well let me think, it's not that it's a wild story or anything, just funny - that entire cd defined my life for a moment I guess, first one I ever purchased, and my 3 best friends at the time all bonded together by our athleticism or nerdiness routinely found ourselves in the basement of M's house singing along to that cd in the middle of the night. Maybe call it oddly a time of innocence, not sure - a year later HSBFF and I were in another private school and the other two were lost in the shuffle of life. When I hear those songs it reminds me of that time when it was all about your female friends and dreaming of your future. Now HSBFF is married with a kid and I can only free her for a 5 mile run., no more late night sleepovers singing along to Mariah...
Sorry that could have been so much shorter, brevity is not my strong suit

the one in the back said...

Hahaha! No complaints from here. Glad to know there were good times with that song even though the people aren't that around much anymore. I heard this song randomly on the way to work and I got to daydreaming about our gig. I cranked up the radio and was singing full blast to the song, while stopped at a red light. Totally didn't know that I had an audience to the left and right of me as other cars laughed their heads off at the kid in the blue Honda jammin' to Mariah!