Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A hint of truth?

I'm on nights now for Ob-Gyn. It's been very quiet. Lots of laboring moms, but sadly no babies to deliver yet. My attending tonight is a nice hipster doctor who has a very tongue-in-cheek personality with the wit to match.
So here she was tonight, looking mighty green in the face (she's blaming her husband for catching this stomach bug of hers, since he had it this past Friday and was also violently ill for 24 hours), and about a dash away from tossing her cookies. Amidst bouts of nausea, her husband calls to check up on her. Slightly miffed and in no mood to talk, she kindly dismisses him...understandable, coming from a person who's getting ready to yak. She says, "I love that man, but he sure does have shitty timing."
Then she turns to me and asks, "Are you married/ have a girlfriend?"
Of course, I give my polite and customary "No," to which she responds, "Good. Keep it that way."
So like a good medical student, I ask why, feeling that this is a set-up to a punchline.
As soon as I finished my question, a stream of curses fly out from one of the laboring mothers' rooms, to which my attending woefully answered: "Because women are insane." Then she got quiet for a second and said "But men are stupid, so in the end it's all perfect."

Fair enough.

Song of the day: "Me and Mrs. Jones" - Billy Paul

4 comments:

Single and Picky said...

That there is a prophet if I have ever heard one - that there are words of truth. We are insane - I think you know that and well the men I have come to know personally definitely push the stupid category. In the end it is about finding someone you think is a tolerable amount of insane and I need to find someone that doesn't make me want to self lobotomize myself with a plastic knife. So romantic isn't it?

Have fun with the moms and babes and thank your stars it isn't endless paps, at least there is some joy at the end of all that ugliness

the one in the back said...

Almost finished w/ Ob-Gyn. Yea, she does make a lot of sense. Unfortunately for me, things just get uglier...nature of the beast/job. How are you feeling today?

Single and Picky said...

Feeling itchy - very itchy. Wondering if I had some kind of celiac issues per Googling. Who knows.

the one in the back said...

Well, with severe Celiacs, you also get GI disturbances, pale/loose/greasy stools/diarrhea, bloating, flatulence, weight loss, all that yucky stuff when you eat wheat products or anything w/ Gliadin in it.
Then again you can have a mild form of Celiacs in which case, the symptoms might be less or can even present like IBS/urticaria/and even anemia.

I hope you feel better soon.