Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Quick update of sorts

Another 6 weeks down. I finished learning about Vag and preggos (Ob-Gyn) and now moving on to the ankle biters (Pediatrics). I keep telling myself "It's almost over" but somehow, it never is. Another 6 weeks of peds rotation - at least it's not as intensive as the others.

My Ob-Gyn attending gave me a very good evaluation despite what I thought. And of course, lots of good pearls of wisdom:
1. Never stop reading - suck the marrow from the bones of knowledge
2. You're a professional - Do what you're supposed to do (or have a really good excuse for not doing so).
3. Learn to walk on your own - it makes you a competent doctor and a better person.
4. Question everything - just because somebody says so, doesn't mean they're right.
5. Guidelines are exactly what they are - guidelines...and may not apply to some people. So learn them well first before you deviate from the standard.

Lots of good stuff, but quite hard to follow. Especially if you're the type of person who loves to nap. But I'm quite thankful that I had this rotation with him and of course, I will do my best to follow his advice.

Other things on the burner:
1. Updating CV
2. Letters of Recommendations - I need at least 3.
3. 4th year elective rotations - I have 3 definite ones. 4 if you count my subinternship for surgery, but I'm seriously thinking about switching that one. I've settled on what I want to do, finally. Internal Medicine - GI.
4. Step 2 Board exam - I'm slowly studying for it. Slowly. D-day: Aug. 23rd.

Oh, I had a nightmare last night. It was about the Ex. I was in the Labor and Delivery suite, in the middle of assisting a delivery when I got a phone call from her. She told me the reason why she broke up with me was that she got pregnant and had to abort the fetus, but couldn't tell me the truth at the time. Then she put me on hold - "Eye of the Tiger" was the hold song. Then I woke up. Really creeped the hell out of me.

So, I will be starting Peds ER tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Song of the day: "Again And Again" - The Bird And The Bee

This music video is INSANE!!!

7 comments:

Laura said...

We had a meeting today about our path to interviews and where/how many/etc. Have you figured out where/how many places you want to interview? Or do you know explicitly where you want to match?

the one in the back said...

Well, I wanna stick around the eastern seaboard. I want to interview to places that have a GI fellowship/good IM residency program. My school has both, so this is one of my top choices. Other places are Geisinger and Lankenau in Pennsylvania. I'm going for Osteopathic match (I only took the COMLEX, not the USMLE) so we'll see how it goes. Overall, I think I'd want to interview @ 10 places at most, but we'll see what the next 6 months will bring. How 'bout you?

Single and Picky said...

Okay so that dream was CREEPY - but whatever I have some pretty bad ones too.

As to the ankle biters - words of wisdom - as weird as they sound.

1. Cultivate a Dad voice - like a happy Hollywood perfect Dad voice - reassuring and firm. This tells the kids you are nice and in control and tells the parents you might just have kids at home.

2. Learn tricks to make your life easier and reduces their fight ability. Example I have learned to put kids sideways in the exam chair put their head against my chest and gently headlock them - that way my hands are away from their mouths and their heads are as far back as I can get them

3. On that note watch your hands - you want them no where near teeth

4. Learn the magic of singing the alphabet, the AWESOMENESS of Cars, Thomas the Tank Engine, Barbie, Dora (and Diego) etc - if you can pack a few stickers you might be able to bribe whoever you need to. Engage them in a quick conversation, like How old are you? You had a birthday? What did you do? Or in September I normally ask about school - you like your teacher etc.

5. As to parents - basically reassure them that they are knowledgeable/empowered but not too empowered - we don't need them Googling everything and then thinking they know more than you and that they don't for example need to vaccinate their kids.

6. Have fun, the ankle biters are hard but I will tell you their parents are vastly more evil. If you are not wearing scrubs pack an extra set of clothes for two words - projectile vomit.

7. Lastly if a child is "Autistic" ask where they are on the spectrum, most parents I have found are willing to give you a heads up.

There is probably more I can add but that is what is coming to mind.

Laura said...

I'm going to very likely stay at my school's family medicine program. It's a great program, and I plan to stay in this state to practice...I've worked with them a good bit during my school years, and I feel comfortable about my chances of matching here. I'm also engaged to an M1...so I better stay.

the one in the back said...

S&P: Thank you for the words of wisdom. I intend to follow them in the hopes of making this rotation as "hassle-free" as possible...that and if I want to keep my fingers =).

High Energy: Really?! An M1? I take it you 2 had a relationship going on prior to or @ the beginning of your own Med School class year? Unless you two just met this year and got engaged, which sounds very romantic. All the same, Congratulations! It's nice to meet someone who knows what you're going through. And best of luck to you and Fam Med.

Laura said...

We just met at the beginning of this year...we were set up. He went to law school first, now med.

the one in the back said...

Jan. 2010? Woah! INTENSE. Must be very nice to have such a relationship like that fall into place from the get go. It's kinda what Billy Crystal said in "When Harry Met Sally" - "when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible." Big congrats to you both!