Monday, April 12, 2010

Musical theme

OK, I realized today that I have a crapload of articles to read (and I don't mean Maxim or GQ), but I had to post this one before it disappears from my mind forever.

So it seems that I've had this theme going on about songs that evoke unpleasant memories of late.  Well, today, on my way to work, I got WXPN blaring on the radio and Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings were being featured on the show.  For those of you who don't know SJ/DK and are fans of just good ol' stick-to-your-ribs kick ass music, she and her band are a must-check-out for all y'all. I made a link for those interested. Anyways, her new album is out and I heard lots of high praises about it, so this might very well be my next online purchase.  Tonight, as I head to the library for some more late night studying, SJ/DK were once again, the topic of conversation on another radio station.  So far so good.  Then they play one of the songs from her new album, and that just made my whole night completely.  Not only was it just a solid song with amazing vocals and the musical chops to match, but the message is just so blatantly clear and solid, it was like a good slap in the face that just brings you back to your senses.  After a few weeks of being in a funk and being reminded of the Ex by any little ol' ditty, I think Sharon's song helped snap me out of it all.

So to Sharon and the band, wherever you folks are, thank you.  God bless.

Song of the day: "Better Things" - Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings


That's right.  I see you bobbin' and bouncing to this song. G'head witcha bad self.

8 comments:

Single and Picky said...

Ooooo I like it - I will be picking up that cd when I have a chance.

the one in the back said...

Spread the funk!

Single and Picky said...

You know it dear! I feel sorry for the girl in the suite next to me - I have the music pretty loud for the majority of the weekend and evenings... oh well

the one in the back said...

Make friends. Nothing a little vodka or gin can't fix ;-)

Single and Picky said...

She swings the other way - her last GF could most definitely take me in the though she's willowy bet you she's got a nasty right hook kind of way. I don't want any confusion about which team I prefer - so no getting her drunk. I have enough problem with men I do not need some angry women too.

Single and Picky said...

And yes while I may love the vodka it has yet and I hope it never is mean to me by making me do bad things. Gin well we already know gin made me do somethings that well were bad but oh, well I think you know the rest of that statement

the one in the back said...

Oh no! I wasn't implying that you get her drunk or hit on her. I was just saying share the good vibes over a few drinks so you won't have to worry about neighbors complaining about the loud music during the weekend. Sorry. No innuendo with this one. Didn't mean to offend if you did take offense.

Single and Picky said...

Didn't take any offense. It was more that we don't normally talk - so I don't think that it would be appropriate - but I will most definitely consider it